More than 1,500 representatives from municipalities across Canada converged on Vancouver for the Federation of Canadian Municipalities’ Annual Conference and Trade Show, which took place from May 31 to June 3. The conference provided a forum for municipal political leaders and staff to learn from one another and share best practices for building strong cities, strong communities and a strong Canada.
As a community-based organization and a significant economic generator for the region, YVR was proud to support the conference. We’re also proud of the contribution YVR’s operations makes to the community and economic well-being of our province. Indeed, the strength of Canadian cities and our country as a whole relies in part on the connectivity, jobs and economic opportunity provided by local airports like ours.
Here are a couple of ways in which YVR contributes to the strength of our community and country:
- In 2012, YVR welcomed 17.6 million passengers, a 2.9 percent increase over 2011.
- YVR is served by 68 different airlines, collectively serving some 122 worldwide destinations.
- Approximately 23,600 employees working for some 400 different businesses and organizations come to work at YVR every day.
- Our most recent economic impact study found that YVR is responsible for $608 million in taxes, including the ground rent we pay the federal government, and makes a direct contribution of $1.9 billion to B.C.’s Gross Domestic Product.
- It is estimated that one daily international flight creates about 186 person-years of direct employment.
- In 2012, we launched a $1.8 billion, 10-year plan to keep YVR an economic generator for B.C. Planned improvements - including a high-speed baggage system and hundreds of metres of moving walkways - will make it faster and easier for all passengers to travel through YVR.
- As a gateway airport, we are focusing on growing air service to key destinations in Asia Pacific, offering more connections to business, tourism, friends and family – not just for British Columbians, but for passengers travelling on to other destinations in Canada and the U.S.
Pictured: Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson addresses a crowd of Canadian municipal delegates at the Airport Authority-sponsored Sunshine Breakfast on June 3, 2013.
Return to YVR Air Mail Home Page