With the arrival of another new airline this Sunday, we thought we would dedicate our weekly Fun Fact Friday to All Nippon Airways, the latest and greatest carrier to land at YVR. In an unprecedented editorial endeavour we have compiled 10 fun facts about our new partner. Can't wait until Sunday!
1. ANA's IATA flight code of NH comes from the earliest incarnation of the company: Nippon Helicopter and Aeroplane.
2. All Nippon Airways was the first airline to order and fly the Boeing 787 Dreamliner.
3. ANA recently receieved a 5-Star rating from SKYTRAX, the only airline in Japan to be given the distinction and one of only four in the world.
4. ANA will retire all of its Boeing 747s on March 31, a day after its Vancouver inaugural.
5. The current ANA logo featuring the striking triton blue was introduced in 1983.
6. ANA has about 33,000 employees and operates about 1,000 flights a day.
7. A number of ANA aircraft have been outfitted with special liveries including Pokemon-themed aircraft.
8. ANA's only flight to and from Canada begins this Sunday, when a Boeing 767-300ER from Haneda will touch down at YVR at around 3 p.m.
9. With its most recent order of aircraft, ANA increased its fleet to 250.
10. The new flight between Vancouver and Tokyo will directly generate 350 local jobs.
We are super excited to welcome ANA to Vancouver and all of Canada. The inaugural ANA from Haneda should touch down around 3 p.m. local time this Sunday. The plan is for the aircraft to arrive on the North Runway, so come out and snap some pics of this first-ever flight!