The final numbers are in: 2013 was a record year for passenger travel at YVR. We welcomed 17.97 million passengers last year, 2.1 percent more than in 2012. For those inclined to round up, that's practically 18 million, but not quite. In fact, that's one very busy day away from 18 million; it's not uncommon to see 30,000 inbound and 30,000 outbound passengers on a peak day in August or December.
There are a couple of sub-stories in that number. We saw record domestic passenger numbers, thanks to more regional service on WestJet Encore and Air Canada. We also saw record numbers of passengers travelling to the Asia Pacific region, with growth to Mainland China up 19.8 percent alone. YVR continues to be in growth mode, which is as exciting for those of us who work here as it is for the travellers who will help us achieve this milestone - especially with the new routes, services and metal (planes) we'll see in 2014. These include:
- YVR welcomes its first arrival of a Boeing 787 Dreamliner, operated by Japan Airlines on February 3
- More Dreamliners operated by other airlines in the next few months...stay tuned!
- All Nippon Airways launches daily service to Tokyo's Haneda airport (note aerial shot at left) on March 30
- Lufthansa will run its super-popular Munich route for the entire summer, beginning March 30
- The vikings are coming! Icelandair inaugurates twice-weekly YVR-Reykjavik service on May 13/14
- United Airlines will operate daily service to D.C. throughout the summer
- EVA Air is adding an additional weekly flight to Taipei
- Air Canada rouge - the carrier's value service - is expected to operate flights to popular U.S. destinations beginning this summer
Be sure to keep tabs on us socially via Twitter, Facebook and here on our blog for the latest on these announcements and more.