You’ve prepared and planned for your family’s annual summer vacation and the closer it creeps, the more questions you have – Can I bring baby formula through security? Where can we do an emergency diaper change before our flight? Can I bring my stroller? Where can I tire out my kids before the flight?
We’ve put together a few travel tips to help you when travelling with your offspring this summer. If you have specific questions that can’t be found here, don’t hesitate to contact our 24-hour Customer Care team.
- Confirm your itinerary and reservations with your airline in advance. Be sure to check baggage quantity and weight specifications, to ensure you don’t face additional charges at the airport.
- Double check that everyone has the appropriate ID. All children who travel need their own ID, whether abroad or within Canada. View Passport Canada’s travelling with children section.
- All passengers, including infants and children, must undergo security screening prior to boarding. Formula is permitted for children under the age of 24 months, along with certain exemptions to liquids and gel regulations – learn more about what, and how much, is permitted, by visiting the Canadian Air Transportation Security Authority’s website or contact them at 1-888-294-2202.
- Most airlines have an infant policy on their website that will help answer questions about strollers, car seats and baggage. View infant policies for WestJet, Air Canada, British Airways, United and Alaskan Airlines.
- It’s best to know the layout of the airport before you arrive. View a map of the airport to find washrooms, food courts, security and Customer Care counters. Infant changing stations are located within every washroom – be sure to ask a friendly Green Coat Volunteer, stationed throughout the airport, to point you in the right direction in case of an unexpected emergency.
- Plan activities to keep their attention while travelling. New games, toys and favourite movies can help keep them calm and quiet. Free WiFi is available and charging stations are located at many of the seating areas – allowing you to keep your batteries full.
- Do your kids have some energy to burn off before they board? YVR has several kid-friendly locations that can help keep them occupied. Visit one of our children’s play areas (various locations), the Observation Area (Domestic Terminal) or Aquarium (International Terminal).
- Full bellies are happy bellies! There are plenty of food and snack options at YVR to fit everyone’s tastes and budgets, including favourites like White Spot, Subway, Jugo Juice and Cinnabon. For a full list of options and locations visit the food & beverage section of our website.
- Forgot or need something? YVR has a variety of kid-approved stores such as the Vancouver Aquarium Store, Kids Works, Science World and Great Canadian Book Company as well as Pharmasave that provides the essentials like diapers, wipes and other family travel necessities.